Friday, May 28, 2010

Paper Moon


So I didn't get off work last night until almost 7:30, at which point I had 1) a project for my medieval Spanish class to finish, 2) a birthday party to go to, and 3) a farewell party to go to for a friend who's leaving to study abroad.  Instead, I blew all three off and called that guy and the two of us went and hung out at a mutual friend's house.  The Spanish project would simply have to wait.

I had it in my head that as I got to know this guy better I would eventually find something I really wouldn't like about him or that I could befriend him to the point that any attraction for him would melt away, leaving only friendship.  It's worked before.

Instead I had an incredible time.  Granted it's only our second encounter but it was an amazing experience.  I asked him some questions about himself and he about me, and as we kept talking there was this connection that I felt building between us.  I felt I could tell him anything and similarly he was quite open with me about a lot of things.  It was natural and thrilling and meaningful.

Up until now I always assumed I would marry a girl.  I've dated some girls who were simply amazing, yet past a certain point I couldn't let things proceed.  (Usually it was about the time we started holding hands, kissing, etc.)  In fact, I just got out of a relationship with a girl who I'm certain would have married me if I had asked her to.  But I didn't ask her because I didn't want to marry her because I felt nothing for her beyond pleasant, friendly feelings.

I started to wonder if that was maybe as good as things were ever going to get.  I wondered if I'd watched too many romantic movies or listened to too many love songs.  Maybe I was mistaken in believing that love would be this electrifying, mind-blowing thing.  Maybe all it would ever be was quiet and boring and a little dull.

But instead after knowing this guy for less than a week I feel that those ideas were completely mistaken because of how I feel now.  I don't know if he and I have any future at all, but I feel certain that I'll never feel this way with a girl.  Believe me I've tried.

So my big question is what do I do now?  Stay friends?  Pursue something with him?  To what extent?  (I should explain that I have no idea what his feelings are toward me.  For all I know this is completely one-sided.)  I'd ask if I should just walk away from him, but I don't know if I could actually do that when it came down to it.

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know that I'm the best person to comment on this right now. Perhaps we can catch up a little on the phone or in person and I can share my thoughts and be able to better explain them.

    ReplyDelete